1) Remove BaggageAn easy way to improve your fuel efficiency is to lighten your load. Remove any unnecessary items from your vehicle, that may weigh it down. From extra bags you keep forgetting to take out to random boxes full of stuff in the back, removing these items can help improve your fuel efficiency, by simply cleaning out your vehicle.
2) Reduce Wind ResistanceWhile it may always not be practical, try to avoid traveling a long distance with an item that causes wind resistance. Any items on your luggage racks or large items in the bed of a truck can put a drag on your vehicle, causing it to consume more fuel.
3) Shift SmoothlyHeavy braking and accelerating at a quick pace can put a damper on your fuel efficiency. Try to shift smooth and drive with caution, when traveling in your vehicle. This is an easy way to increase your fuel efficiency.
4) Keep Tires Properly InflatedCheck your tire pressures regularly. A low tire can cause higher rolling resistance and cause a drop in your fuel mileage.
5) Keep an Eye on SpeedSpeeding causes your engine to turn more RPMs and in turn, will use more gasoline as your vehicle has to use more fuel to get up to speed. Try to keep your speed at the recommended MPH for the road in which you are traveling.
6) Regular MaintenanceMaintaining your engine can help to keep your fuel usage in check. If there is something wrong with your ride, it may cause your fuel consumption to rise. It's a good idea to know what fuel economy your vehicle gets, that way if it suddenly gets less, you know its time to bring it in to get maintenance.
7) Roll Down HillsGravity is on your side when you're driving down a hill. You can let off the gas and coast down many hills. This can help counteract the fuel consumption that is required to get UP the hill. Don't use unnecessary gas to accelerate down a hill, when you will get down it either way.
8) Avoid Heavy TrafficStop and go traffic can lead to a higher amount of fuel consumption. If you can, avoid rush hour traffic, where you must accelerate and brake often. This can help reduce the amount of fuel used to navigate to your destination.
9) Plan Your ErrandsDriving less will reduce the amount of fuel your vehicle will consume. Try to plan your daily errands so they can be achieved in one trip, therefore lowering your drive time and being more fuel-efficient.
We hope these simple tips will increase your fuel mileage. If you notice a decrease in your fuel economy, bring in to Spieler’s Incorporated Service Department and let us check your vehicle over. Maybe your car is getting dated and it is time to upgrade to a newer model with better fuel mileage. Our California, MO car dealership has a great selection of new and preowned vehicles in stock. Our friendly and knowledgeable staff is here to help you with all your automotive needs.
Proudly Serving the Columbia,
Jefferson City, and California, MO Areas