1. Change the oil regularly.The oil in your engine should always be at the full mark, but it should be taken in for a complete oil change every 3,000 - 5,000 miles, depending on the vehicle and type of oil used. Oil keeps the important parts of an engine lubricated and running smoothly. Here at Spieler's Inc. you get a free 23-point inspection with every oil change.
2. Replace your air filter.
Air needs to flow constantly through your vehicle's engine. When an air filter collects too much dirt and debris, your engine can't breathe. You should check the condition of it every time you have your oil changed.
3. Check your belts.
The belts in your engine keep many parts of it running properly, like the fan, water pump, alternator, and air conditioner. They get a lot of use, so it is wise to inspect them occasionally for any visible cracks. If you hear a squealing from them, this also means you probably need a new one.
4. Don't drive with a nearly empty gas tank.
Sediment settles at the bottom of your gas tank. When the gas level is low, this sediment gets stirred up and can get caught up in your fuel filter and make its way to the engine. If you keep your tank at least half full, this is less likely to happen.
5. Take good care of the cooling system.
The cooling system is made up of the radiator, thermostat, water pump, and coolant. Keeping the coolant full is the easiest way to maintain this section. It is recommended that you have the entire cooling system flushed and the coolant changed out yearly.
6. Don't ignore leaks or check engine lights.
Any fluids dripping from your vehicle could be a warning sign that something is wrong. If your check engine light is on, this is also a sign that you need to have a professional check things out, just in case.
7. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
Not every type of vehicle requires the exact same maintenance schedule. The manufacturer will provide a table of when you should have everything replaced, changed, or tuned up. Ignoring this schedule could result in your engine not running properly, causing your car or truck to quit working for you long before it should.
Taking care of these things will make sure that your vehicle's engine keeps running the way that it is supposed to. Our car dealership near Jefferson City has an excellent service department that can help you out if you do have any problems. Take care of your vehicle properly on a regular basis, and bring it to us when it needs an oil change or tuneup.
Proudly serving the Columbia,
Jefferson City, and California, MO areas
California, MO 65018
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on LinkedIn