1. Think About Wind ResistanceWhile it may not be practical at all times, try to avoid traveling a long distance with an item that causes wind resistance. Any items on your luggage racks or large items in the bed of a truck can put a drag on your vehicle, causing it to consume more fuel. Having your windows open while driving down the road can also put a damper on your vehicles' aerodynamics - causing more drag.
2. Keep Your Speed in CheckSpeeding causes an overuse of gasoline, as your vehicle has to use more fuel to get up to speed. Try to keep your speed at the recommended MPH for the road in which you are traveling on. This can help lower the chance of using unnecessary gasoline to get to and from your destination.
3. Coast When PossibleGravity is on your side when you're driving down a hill. You can let off the gas and coast down many hills. This can help counteract the fuel consumption that is required to get UP the hill. Don't use unnecessary gas to accelerate down a hill, when you will get down it either way.
4. Set Cruise ControlUsing cruise control can help keep your acceleration at bay when traveling at a constant speed. This also helps when saving on the amount of fuel your vehicle uses as you drive down the highway. If you don't have a vehicle with cruise control, try to keep an even speed when traveling to avoid speeding up and using extra gasoline
6. Tightly Secure the Gas CapAbout 147 million gallons of gas were lost last year due to evaporation. That's A LOT! Ensure your gas tank cap is on tight and secured properly. This can help keep the gasoline you purchased exactly where you want it - inside your gas tank. If you have a faulty cap, try to get that repaired as soon as possible.
7. Think Ahead for Travel PlansIt's best to take one trip instead of several to run your errands. Think ahead of all the places you need to go before you leave home. Start at the location furthest away and work your way back toward your home. This can help to reduce the waste of unnecessary gas driving all over town. While it does not always work out to plan ahead and take one trip, it's best to minimize the number of trips to and from your home throughout the day.
If the gas prices are getting you down and you've used these tips to improve your MPG, it may be time to consider a more economical ride. Stop by our car dealership in mid-MO TODAY to see our current selection of fuel-economic vehicles. We have a wide range of new and used rides AND eco-friendly options too! The sales staff at Spieler's Incorporated looks forward to helping you find the right ride for you and your family!
Proudly Serving the Columbia,
Jefferson City, and California, MO Areas